CRN: Colorado Racing Network: T56 mated to a transfer case? - CRN: Colorado Racing Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

T56 mated to a transfer case? Which shop can do it?

#1 User is offline   DrkZide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Certified Member
  • LocationGolden

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

So I'm playing around with the idea of throwing a T56 into my 86 K10 and retaining the 4WD. I'm thinking this might require a custom output shaft. Have you guys heard of this being done and more so, which shop can do the work?

#2 User is offline   Overkill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBerthoud, CO

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Going to be a custom adapter plate needed between the trans and t-case and its all about how much money you want to spend. Considered this in my Syclone and decided it really wasn't worth the hassle. You could do a NV5600 since its a 6 speed, but its really not worth the swap as the final drives are usually always the same so a 5 speed nv4500 would probably be a better cheaper fit.

If you install big tires the granny gear on a nv4500 becomes a usuable 1st gear and on my f250 I have 44's with 4.10 gears and 1st is now what second gear was before the swap on my rig. I have a ZF 5 speed however since its a Ford biggrin.gif

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/thread-...r-T56-on-an-4x4

My friend John (BullySyclone) made the adapter to mate his t-case to a Turbo 400 so he could make you a plate. Cost would depend on how much custom machining is required.

#3 User is offline   DrkZide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGolden

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

I'd like to stick to a Manual transmission as I'm trying to retain as much of my mileage as possible (funny I know lol). The original plan was to update the old school 350 to something more modern. LSX series motor(probably an LS1) seeing as I'm more used to fuel injection than TBI and Carbs, and that power and fuel mileage would probably be improved. My old Corvette had a T56 so that's why I was inquiring. That low 6th REALLY put me over the top on fuel mileage. I used to cruise at 90 getting in the mid-low 30mpg. Not expecting that out of a truck but better than the average 10-14mpg

#4 User is offline   rodent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

If you're looking just to save gas, its not worth how much you're going to have to spend on a LS1 and T56 combo not to mention the special adapter for the t-case. Being that a chevy truck is over 5k lbs and aerodynamic like brick, it will be hard for any motor to push that truck in 6th gear even the almighty LS1. My Hemi struggles on the highway with my 2500 Ram causing it to out of OD all the time. Figure how much gas money you'll save with 20mpg and it will take over 5 years just to pay for the swap. By then you'll be wanting something else. I'm sticking to my tried and true 400 SBC with AFR heads to achieve 500hp in my K5 and the stout 4L80 AOD since its better for wheeling IMO and will handle any power you throw at it.

#5 User is offline   DrkZide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGolden

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

So I should just throw a big blower on it and call it a day? lol I did find an LS1 for $1100 though...

#6 User is offline   rodent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (DrkZide @ Jun 25 2010, 07:44 PM)
So I should just throw a big blower on it and call it a day? lol I did find an LS1 for $1100 though...

Still need to find the transmission, clutch, custom made adapter, wire harness, ecu, custom flash for the ecu, motor mounts, custom tranny mount, lengthen/shorten driveshafts. It all adds up quickly not to mention all your time. I'm not saying not to do it but its ALOT of work and money for the MPG results.

#7 User is offline   DrkZide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGolden

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

It's a Chevy 350 block so I would assume most tranny's should bolt right up or with minimal alterations. I was thinking maybe an NV5600 which I believe should fit with my transfer case.

#8 User is offline   DrkZide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGolden

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

Damn, I really need an edit button. I meant the NV4500, possibly the NV5600 if I can find one cheap enough. This four speed just sucks and 1st is useless unless I'm trying to yank out tree stumps.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users